Monday, June 25, 2012

remembering puppyhood.

I was sitting on a park bench yesterday, Claire perched on my knee [yes, in all of her 50-pound glory], when I realized that it was just a little over a year ago that we came to the end of an era: puppyhood. It finally hit me yesterday, as I watched the next generation of puppies playing together, romping around with the big dogs. I still consider Claire to be my puppy, and I will always refer to her that way, even when she's a healthy thirty-eight in human years [just humor me]. But in reality, she's an adult dog now - a young one, but an adult just the same.

She's got a whole slew of friends that she has grown up with, and it has been so sweet to see all of them grow up together. Thankfully, she still sees most of them on a regular basis. But now there are new little ones who are learning the ropes at the park, and honestly, I get a little nostalgic as I watch them all play together and figure things out. Where does time go when it flies by?

Nostalgia aside, it is time to introduce you to two of the newest members of the dog park gang: Riley and Murphy. They are both incredibly sweet and full of that wonderful puppy innocence. There isn't a dog or person out there who they don't like [which is great because it means lots of cuddles for me when I see them]. From what I can tell from our interactions with them, Murphy is going to be in the middle of the action all the time, while Riley is more of a thinker; she plays hard, but she also has moments where she goes off on her own and watches things from a distance. [Sounds a bit like Claire, doesn't she?!]

Riley and Murphy


You know what I miss the most about the puppy years? The endless excitement at discovering new things, and the fearlessness that accompanies it. As Claire has grown up, I've noticed this excitement give way to a tentative curiosity. Though, on one hand, I am glad about this, because it's a bit safer!

What do you miss the most about the puppy years?
   

1 comment:

  1. Elka will also always be my puppy (and also sits on my knee quite a lot)!

    I miss the newness of everything as well. And how small she was! Sometimes we look at Elka and go "When did you get so BIG?"

    ReplyDelete