Saturday, October 8, 2011

an unexpected trip home.

I'm writing this from my grandmother's hospital room at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center in Boston. I flew home yesterday to be with my family and I'll be here for at least a week. My very independent Gram fell on Thursday, and when she got to the hospital, they found that she had a pretty significant arterial bleed in her brain. She has been on life support since and, though she has opened her eyes once or twice, the doctors do not anticipate recovery. I will be taking a break from blogging until I return to Nashville, where Claire is (once again) staying at school while I am gone.

Is it strange that the one I want to be with the most during this time is my sweet Claire? Probably. But because I live so far from my parents, my sisters, my brother, and my soul-friends, Claire is the only family member who I spend each and every day with. So, when you look at it from that point of view, I suppose it doesn't seem strange at all...

Say some prayers, friends. That my Gram is comfortable and dreaming of having coffee with my grandfather while she is hooked up to all of these machines. That my dad and uncles would have peace and be comforted. That the grandchildren will be supports to them as they make some tough decisions over the next few days.

I'll be back relatively soon.

2 comments: